Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lord, What Is Your Will For My Life?

So you want a revelation for your life?

I think we have all asked this question.

We want to know where we are going to be in 5 decades, 5 years, 5 months, or even 5 days. We live in the idea of the unknown future. We want to know what occupation we will end up having, if or when we will marry, who we will marry, if or when we have children, how many children; the list could go on forever.

We concern ourselves with things that we have no control over. And that thought may scare us, or worry us even more. We want to be in control of things. We want to know that things are taken care of, but we focus more on how we, ourselves, are going to do that, instead of giving it to God.

One of the most used Bible verses is:
Jeremiah 29:11 -- For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
We are told, by God, that He knows our future. What is unknown to us, is known to God. And when Jesus came to earth, He reminded His disciples, and we who follow Him today, not to worry.
Matthew 6:25 -- Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?
Matthew 6:27 -- Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
Matthew 6:34 -- Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
You've heard all of this before, right? You know you're not supposed to worry about things, especially the future, but doing so is easier said than done.

We all worry. But think for a moment. Where does that fear and worry come from? Isn't it a lack of faith? As a follower of Christ, I know that God has taken care of everything, and that I am held up in His right hand. I have faith in Him. I know that He will provide, and that His will shall be done, but I can't disregard the fact that I'm a mere human.

I'm not powerful enough to stop thoughts of fear and worry. I'm not strong enough to push past the thoughts of my humanity. But what gives me comfort, is knowing that God is there. He is powerful enough. He is strong enough. I pray that He will calm my fears, give me peace of mind, and erase my worry.

Like is says in Matthew, by worrying, which one of us can add even an hour to our lives? Worrying is a wasted effort. It takes us away from praising God. It distracts us from worshiping the King who knows all.

And a devastatingly negative affect of our worry, is that we aren't able to clearly see the path that God has laid before us. We will see a life clouded by sorrows, indecision, apathy and worldliness, when we should see a life that honors God, preaches the Good News, prays, asks and seeks continuously.
Matthew 7:7 -- Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
When we step back and say, "God, I know you're bigger than every breath that I take, so I'm giving you complete control of my life," then we are able to see the full picture, the panoramic view of our lives.

Yes, we will have days of doubt. We will question. We will pray and God will seem far away. But if we look at the bigger picture, and realize that life is more than the shoes we wear, the cars we drive, the money that we make, the friends that we have, then we will be able to focus on what happens after this life.

As said by music artist, Casting Crowns:
I am a flower quickly fading; here today and gone tomorrow. A wave tossed in the ocean. A vapor in the wind. Still you hear me when I'm calling; Lord, you catch me when I'm falling. And you've told me who I am; I am yours.
While in this human life, I'm focusing on the here and now, because one minute we're here, and the next we are gone. So I ask myself, who can I reach for Jesus today? Who can I help this minute? Who needs to feel the mercy and grace of God now?

If I'm focusing on my future, I'm reveling in the fact that one day I will stand face to face with my Savior; the one who chose the nails for me.

God has a plan for your life.

Trust in Him, and He will show you the way. Pray that He will give you a revelation :)
John 14:1 -- Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God ; trust also in me.
Psalm 31:14 -- But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God."
Proverbs 3:5-6 -- Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Blessings,

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

with love.