Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Is the Media Affecting You?

This morning, a few things happened.

I was flipping through the channels on TV, and came across a show called 'Antichrist' on the History Channel. Usually, I'm not one to watch things on that channel or TV in general, but something was gripping me to watch it. I know from experience that those things go against the Word of God, and the devil uses sources (like the media), to get into our minds.

While watching, I was looking through my Twitter feed, and this came up on Max Lucado's page:  
"Happy are those who don't listen to the wicked" (Ps.1:1) monitor your media intake today. Watch programs that help you live God."
I didn't know if this was a sign that I shouldn't be watching the show, but still I continued.

About 20 minutes later, I logged onto Facebook, and noticed that K-Love (the Christian radio station) had posted something: 
"Happy are those who don't listen to the wicked" (Ps.1:1) monitor your media intake today."
Now, I'm not sure if K-Love got their information from Max Lucado's Twitter page, but I got a weird feeling. Not only had I seen the verse once (when I was already wondering if I should be watching the show), but then again. It's almost as if God were reminding to beware the lure of the media.

Then I started thinking about the verse from Psalms. It's the first verse from the book of Psalms, and it's clear-cut. It tells us that those who do not listen to the wicked, will be happy.

Now going back to the television show concerning the Antichrist. A lot of the things being said were true, because they took passages directly from Scripture, but a lot of the things were left open-ended or didn't quite piece together. After I was finished watching it, I thought to myself: This is exactly how the devil is getting through to people.

The media is so incredibly warped. From the news that we watch in the mornings, to the scary movies that we watch at night; we are becoming disillusioned. Even down to the cartoons that children are watching, violence, blasphemy, slander, hate and ungodly things are being strung through the messages.

The Bible says that many false prophets will come, that there will be information that is grounded in the Word, but will eventually contradict itself. So the show, 'Antichrist' may have had Bible verses in it, which appealed to me, but I felt like there was a message in it that God didn't want me to hear.

If we want to be able to stand against the devil, and be used for the good that God intends, then shouldn't we be more careful with the things that we watch? Or the things that we listen to?
1 Peter 5:8-9 -- Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.
James 4:7 -- Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Ephesians 6:10-12 -- Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
My warning to you? Beware the lure of the devil. There are many things that we do in our everyday lives that we don't realize is going against the Word of God, simply because they have become normal to us. We turn on the radio and listen to secular music, we turn on the TV and watch violent or degrading material, we read a book that changes our thoughts, etc. All of these are ways for the devil to try and trap us.

We must resist His temptations. That's not to say that we shouldn't use the media for good though. Christian radio stations such as K-Love are making a difference in the lives of people everywhere. Christian news channels and morning shows are allowing people to get in touch with God when they start their days. Christian books help keep us grounded in our faith, and the Bible is the best book out there.

Turn the media into a resource that can be used to glorify God. And together, with the help of our Christian brothers and sisters everywhere, we can strengthen our faith in the Lord, for He is good.

Blessings,

A.

3 comments:

  1. So weird. I saw that on earlier. I ALMOST turned the channel there but then it's like something was telling me "no they don't go by the bible." God was defiantly talking today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I always get that feeling with that channel, but something kept drawing me to watch it, and after those Bible verses kept showing up, I'm convinced that it wasn't God telling to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Aysha, that is so true, I've never watched that particular show i dont believe, but I have seen it on the tv guide or like even the one i was telling you about before. But if that wasn't a sign, than i dont know what else could have been. Your words always touch me!

    ReplyDelete

with love.