Friday, January 6, 2012

{first week + olli the owl}

And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
 
(Matthew 6:16-18 ESV)
This week was designated as {First Week} at my church. Being that it is the first week of the new year, the point was to intentionally clean out the rooms of our souls, so that we could make room for the King.

It is a step toward putting Him in His rightful place in our lives, with everything else in it's proper place.

One aspect of this "cleaning out" is to participate in a 24-hour fast. Not to deny ourselves, but to abstain from food, for the purpose of reorganizing our lives, looking at the things that are taking priority over our relationship with Christ.

Tonight, we will gather as a church after fasting for the day. We will break the 24-hour fast with communion and then we will share a meal together.

Fasting has never been one of my strong points, and as the day wears on, I am tempted to break it - for no one will know. But in that same thought, this comes to mind: These 24 hours signify my devotion to my King. Will I sacrifice my hunger so that I can draw closer to Jesus?

The answer is: yes.

To remedy my need for food, I have been reading my Bible, praying and reading from a few different devotionals.

I have also been drinking herbal tea throughout the day, in this fun little cup.

Meet {Olli the Owl}.
*At least the bottom of the cup says that is who this is :)


I pray that you all had a wonderful {First Week} and that the rest of this year would be one of blessings and drawing closer to our King.

xo, Aysha


3 comments:

  1. Ahh Olli is so cute!! I'm fasting too! I'm with you, the thought has crossed my mind as well that maybe it'd be okay to break the fast because no one's gonna know. However, as you said, we are fasting for our King. That's totally worth it. Many blessings to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post thanks for sharing...blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that mug! I am obsessed with owls :)

    ReplyDelete

with love.